Friday, 08 October 2010 21:41
October 8th 2010
See below the latest - September 2010 - StatCounter' findings regarding the global web browser market share:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer global market share was 49.87% in September 2010 - down from 58% this time last year.
- Microsoft Internet Explorer fell to 40% market share in Europe
- Microsoft Internet Explorer leads the North American market with 52.3%
- Mozilla Firefox global market share was 31.5% in September 2010
- Google Chrome global market share was 11.54% in September 2010 - Chrome was 3.63% this time last year.
StatCounter collected from over three million websites and over 15 billion page views each month.
Aodhan Cullen, chief executive officer at StatCounter, says: "This is certainly a milestone in the internet browser wars. Just two years ago IE dominated the worldwide market with 67 per cent."
According to the The European Commission competition authorities' decision in February 2010, Microsoft had to offer EU users a choice of web browser. Cullen attributes part of the fall to this.